- 1 Welcome
- 2 Vote for new Bureaucrats
- 3 Census data
- 4 Appointing new Admins for Season 5
- 5 MediaWiki color scheme template
- 6 Infoboxes!
- 7 Night's King
- 8 Khalar vezhven
- 9 References/Citations
- 10 IDea
- 11 Azor Ahai video-article
- 12 Brightened Image
- 13 The Prince That Was Promised
- 14 Watch this playlist
- 15 Gallery vs Image Galleries
- 16 Tabbers above infoboxes
- 17 Infos needed
- 18 Fandom Wiki Manager
Hi, welcome to Game of Thrones Wiki! Thanks for your edit to the Xaro Xhoan Daxos page.
We welcome all contributions to the Wiki but please be aware of the following simple rules:
1) This wiki is meant for the Game of Thrones TV series and the TV alone. Spoilers from the novels are not permitted at all. Discussion of earlier events in the novels and the use of non-spoiler background material from the novel as regards specific events, characters and places in the TV series are allowed (in the 'In the books' section of an article) but future events cannot be discussed.
2) This wiki has specific permission from HBO's marketing department to use a reasonable number of promotional images and screencaps from the series to illustrate articles. The use of other copyrighted images is not permitted without either specific permission or fair use attributions. For example, this Wiki cannot use Amoka's portrait images or Ted Nasmith's castle pictures as these are copyrighted. In addition, the Wiki is focused on the TV series and TV series alone. Images from other media should be avoided without a very good cause.
Vote for new Bureaucrats
The Wikia Staff said that even though Werthead is stepping down voluntarily, we need to have an open vote to determine who will now be promoted to Bureaucrat status. Please check it out: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Vote_for_New_Bureaucrats --The Dragon Demands (talk) 20:38, October 13, 2014 (UTC)
Hello, I'm trying to get some census data about our editors:
Have you read the books? If not, do you plan to read them eventually? If you are reading them, did you already start reading them before the TV series started, or did you start after the TV show began? If after they began, have you: finished yet? still trying to finish? Or, you're intentionally only reading one book at a time to match the pace of the TV series? (the last of which is really not a good idea because a given TV season will often pull a chapter or two from the next book, i.e. Jaime and Brienne at the end of Season 2 were the start of book 3).
Are you male, female, more complex description? I kind of assumed male but you don't talk about yourself much.
What part of the world do you hail from? (It helps to know what airing dates everyone is working with, USA vs UK vs Australia, etc.) If you don't want to say a specific city just give a state/province, or just a country (if United Kingdom might help to specify what sub-region, England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland).
Appointing new Admins for Season 5
Please check this out: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:GoTWiki_Small_Council_meeting_5:_Wild_Card_Day
I've upgraded your account settings to Administrator. A boy kneels, a man rises.
I know you spend a lot of time away in Cyprus working, but I am very impressed with your long time on the wiki and keen world-building eye, with all of your past work on the World of Warcraft Wiki. Administrator stuff i.e. large-scale wiki updates are really a year-round task so this won't be too much of an issue (i.e. by my own standards, I didn't "thoroughly" update every episode and character page since the start of Season 3 (I was finishing my thesis) so we are *massively* backlogged - the point being that whenever you can plug the work in during a single calendar year is much appreciated (though it's polite if you leave a note on your userpage saying "I'm going to be away at work for the next month" but then return and get back to stuff. Only problem is if you leave for a full calendar year with no explanation, that sort of thing. Happy to have you with us, ser.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 23:36, February 9, 2015 (UTC)
- Will do. I'm usually only out there for a month or two in the summer, with decent internet access (unless the island blocked Wikia again). --Ragestorm (talk) 15:06, February 10, 2015 (UTC)
- One other thing: please pick a userbox showing faction allegiance: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/User%3ASer_Patrek/Userboxes
- They're "fun", and regular editors pick up on that they exist by copying how the Admins are using them. You can't be two Great Houses at once (you can't be both a Stark and a Targaryen), though you can be one of that lord's vassal Houses (you can be a Stark, and also include an Umber flag to specify that you're from the North....though usually, picking "Umber" would imply Stark anyway). If you're Night's Watch or a Maester you can't also be a House (many people make this mistake; they're sworn to political neutrality) though as we saw with Aemon, you can be a maester in the Night's Watch. If a Userbox doesn't exist already that you want we can make one.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 20:47, February 10, 2015 (UTC)
- Can I do multiple faiths? I'll roleplay as a rebellious intellectual from Oldtown whose family worships the Seven but who is trying to be edgy and follow the Old Gods. --Ragestorm (talk) 20:32, February 13, 2015 (UTC)
- I don't really think you can do both. I mean, Eddard and Catelyn have a multi-faith household, Arya openly says she prays to "the Old gods and the New"....the Old Gods aren't very popular in the Reach (though there are always minor holdouts at the local level). So there's precedent in the story itself but I wouldn't personally. Also are you for the Tyrells in general or is that just because of the Oldtown thing?--The Dragon Demands (talk) 21:01, February 13, 2015 (UTC)
MediaWiki color scheme template
Okay, I finally got onto updating the color scheme of the nav templates, had to ask XD1 for help updating the new color scheme (instead of Blue and Grey (ugh), it's now Wood Brown and Beige - both blue links and black text will show up better against this).
The Appearances/Credits templates needed to be updated by hand because unlike the others they use a grid, but that was easy enough.
Only one that might still need updating is the House information Navbox - it uses three vertical columns so it's different from the others - managed to change the title bar to Wood Brown, but I couldn't get the background to Beige without making an ugly grid pattern, so I left it neutral.
At any rate, writing to inform that the next time we ever change the entire color scheme, the way to do it is by playing with the CSS code on this page: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Wikia.css
If we remember this, next time we won't go a couple of weeks with the old color scheme in the templates because we don't know how to change it :) --The Dragon Demands (talk) 19:58, March 12, 2015 (UTC)
- Roger that. Looks much better! The beige actually is a bit jarring on my machine, but I think it's just my display.--Ragestorm (talk) 15:46, March 13, 2015 (UTC)
[I originally reached out to another admin here and she said to reach out to others, so that's what I'm doing!]
We have a new beta project out, and since it's going to be critical to Wikia's future, we're asking for your help.
We want to partner with your community (and a couple others) and collaborate on a redesign of your existing infoboxes. It’s not a small task, but it’s one that we think we can get done relatively quickly and efficiently. Our engineers - both here in San Francisco and in Poland - will get hands-on with your community and work with your team to redesign the infoboxes.
You can read more here in the forum (and head to the sandbox to give it a whirl), but the tl:dr version: our current infobox structure translates very poorly to mobile experiences, and mobile is where Wikia’s growth lies. We came up with a solution that will take a bit of effort, but will pay significant dividends in the near future. What we're hoping is that we can use this community to test out its strengths and limitations while we get it from “beta” to “full feature”.
What you get out of the deal:
- Wikia engineers who will work directly with your community to update the code that underpins your infoboxes
- Access to staff for feedback, and our promise that your ideas will be taken seriously
- A head-start on this change and therefore a significant upgrade in your community’s visibility
What we get out of the deal:
- Several fresh sets of eyes that can help us understand how this will be used by the average Wikian
- A test community that will let us track how the new infobox structure is used by visitors and viewers
- The opportunity to share this initiative’s successes (and failures, I’m sure!) with the wider Wikia community and show them that it’s a smart plan for our shared mobile future
Please talk this over with your admin team and let me know. I’m happy to answer any and all questions about this - please use my wall or just keep the conversation going here.
- Yeah, sorry about the delay. We'd probably be a good test wiki because of the popularity of the subject matter, but I'm worried about the house sigils we use in the info boxes, assuming we use a standardized design. What exactly would you need from us? Testing and data collection?
- However, I don't know if any of us will have right now time to run point on this, we're smack dab in the middle of the season and all the regular updates that entails. --Ragestorm (talk) 00:30, May 30, 2015 (UTC)
- Hey yo! We wouldn't need much from you at all, really. If you wanted to do the transition with us, that'd of course be lovely, but we're mostly looking for consent!
- Agreed about the sigils, too - we'd take special care with them.
- Hey, did you have a chance to think this over? We don't need anything from you and will have some extra bandwidth to dedicate to y'all pretty soon.
- Thanks! It actually occurred to me because my autocorrect kept trying to turn "khal" into "khan", lol.--Ragestorm (talk) 00:05, May 11, 2016 (UTC)
I saw that you added another paragraph to the Season 6 section on Jon's page referencing "The Winds of Winter". You might want to back to that and rewrite the first part of citation in the previous paragraph so that it reads, "ref name="E60", then change the citation in your paragraph so that it reads "ref name="E60"/" and take out "The Winds of Winter" entirely. I would do it myself but the page is locked and I'm not an admin. Shaneymike (talk) 14:22, July 9, 2016 (UTC)
Just had an idea. What about making a category for pages that says "Image needs brightening"? I am going through so many, but I'd have a lot of help if people could add that category for me. That way I can brighten (or someone else can), the images so they are better seen. This could be infobox or images in the synopsis.. we'd be able to tell which it is. What do you think? Thanks. QueenBuffy 23:31, July 10, 2016 (UTC)
- I don't see why not. Temporary categories have worked with other wikis in the past, and they should be easy enough to remove once the brightening is done.--Ragestorm (talk) 04:19, July 13, 2016 (UTC)
Azor Ahai video-article
I am experimenting with video editing and I found it intersting to make a video-presentation based on the GoT Wikia article Azor Ahai, it is my debut. Here is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkSdgX6uBQ
I think it could be useful for the readers if such video could be available on the Azor Ahai Wikia page. As far as I understand, I cannot edit pages myself (and I am not seeking it), so I would like to ask you - how do you think, will it be appropriate for the page to have a video-version of the article? If yes, may I ask you to somehow insert it to the page?
I would really thankful and happy if readers find it useful and actually become viewers of the Azor Ahai article. If it works, I will continue visualizing articles and enrich GoT wikia.
I have recently added this to our image policy:
- Dark images need to be categorized with "Image (Brighter image needed)", yet ONLY admin's have the rights to actually brighten the image itself.
Just wanted to give you a heads up, if you see just any user trying to edit the images and tweak them. It could easily get out of hand. There is one user that has helped me and has done a good job. I will give her the opportunity to continue, since I've seen her work and trust her. Anyway, just wanted to past this on. QueenBuffy 21:21, August 7, 2016 (UTC)
- Message received and understood! I'll keep my eyes open. --Ragestorm (talk) 14:23, August 8, 2016 (UTC)
The Prince That Was Promised
I wanted to let you know that I took out that part about Melisandre coming to the same conclusion about Daenerys being the Prince That Was Promised again because another user pointed out on the talk page that she didn't say that. She just said she believes Dany has a part to play. I watched thar scene again in case you're wondering. I didn't want to get into an edit war with a fellow admin, which was I didn't say anything the last time you changed it back to her coming to the same conclusion, but still I really think we should leave that out. All Mel says is that she believes Dany has a part to play. Shaneymike (talk) 09:16, August 2, 2017 (UTC)
- No problem! I hadn't rewatched it yet but I read an interview with Van Houten who confirmed that she was still on "Team Jon", so I was planning to remove it, just forgot.--Ragestorm (talk) 15:31, August 2, 2017 (UTC)
Watch this playlist
Please watch this playlist I made on YouTube. Try to get to it soon, it's about 13 hours of content already and its unfinished - but it represents over a year of research. I figured out everything we didn't understand before. You need to see this.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxojMpX5XGoXvaoZfioEVQP2dgQfisigd --The Dragon Demands (talk) 02:31, August 6, 2017 (UTC)
Gallery vs Image Galleries
Just a heads up as I clean up the galleries. Image galleries such as "Gallery: Jon Snow" needs to be categorized with Image Galleries (and Gallery if you wish) only. Other categorized pages, like "Category:Image of Object" need only "Gallery and Images", not "Image Galleries" Since it isn't a gallery like the "Gallery: Samwell Tarly" pages. https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Gallery - You will see ALL categories still here, so this change won't change too much. If you look at "https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Image_Galleries" You will now see that only the character and episode Image Galleries should be there. This just organizes it better. I've made the chances to the upload image rules for the Wiki. Let me know if this was too confusing or if you have questions. :) Now then, back to editing. QueenBuffy 16:03, April 16, 2019 (UTC)
Tabbers above infoboxes
- On my screen, they're doing seasons 8-2 on one line and then season 1 beneath them, which looks a bit weird. This might be the settings on my laptop though. Other than that, looks good! --Ragestorm (talk) 19:11, April 28, 2019 (UTC)
Hi! I'm Hypsoline from the Fandom Staff. Can I talk to you on Discord (my user ID is Hypsoline#7530) if you're using it or send you an email at the address associated with your Fandom account? Let me know! :) Hypsoline (talk) 16:00, May 7, 2019 (UTC)
- Hi! Have you seen the message above? Could you maybe contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do? You can ask the other admins for more details :) Thanks! Hypsoline (talk) 09:36, May 15, 2019 (UTC)
Fandom Wiki Manager
Hello Ragestorm! My name is HighJewElfKing, and I'm the Fandom Wiki Manager for Game Of Thrones Wiki. My job is to help the community and be a liaison to full-time Fandom staff. If you ever got a question or issue relating to the wiki, editing, etc., please contact me on my message wall and I'll do my best to help you out! :) (I’m a huge GOT fan also) Cheers! HighJewElfKing (talk) 04:47, May 19, 2019 (UTC)