- "The Andals swept across Westeros, destroying many ancient families and kingdoms. When the invaders arrived at the Reach led by Ser Alester Tyrell, House Gardener chose accommodation over battle, hoping honors and marriages would sate foreigners' ambition. The Tyrells were welcomed into service as hereditary stewards of Highgarden. Thousands of years later, they repaid the Gardeners for their acceptance."
- ―Randyll Tarly
The High Steward of Highgarden was a title held by House Tyrell.
The Andals invaded Westeros, with Alester Tyrell leading an army to Highgarden. Rather than battle them, House Gardener welcomed the Tyrells, naming them the High Stewards of Highgarden to sate their ambition.
In the books
In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, the title of High Steward of Highgarden was abolished when House Tyrell were awarded Highgarden and the titles of Lord Paramount of the Mander and Wardens of the South for submitting to King Aegon I Targaryen.
Known High Stewards of Highgarden:
- Gareth Tyrell.
- Leo Tyrell, Gareth's son and successor.
- Ser Osmund Tyrell, High Steward to King Garth X Gardener and later King Mern VI Gardener.
- Ser Robert Tyrell, High Steward to King Mern VI, Osmund's son and successor.
- Lorent Tyrell, High Steward to King Mern VI, Robert's son and successor.
- Harlen Tyrell, High Steward to King Mern IX Gardener. Last High Steward of Highgarden, raised to Lord Paramount of the Mander.
|Lord:||None, extinct||Heir:||None, extinct|
|Title(s):||High Steward of Highgarden · Lord of Highgarden · Lord Paramount of the Reach · Warden of the South|
|Ancestors:||Garth Gardener · Harlen Tyrell · Lyonel Tyrell|
|Deceased members:||Luthor Tyrell · Mace Tyrell · Margaery Tyrell · Loras Tyrell · Olenna Tyrell · Tyrell lady · Alerie Tyrell|
|Household:||Mira Forrester · Sera Durwell|
|Overlord:||House Targaryen · House Baratheon of King's Landing (formerly) · House Gardener (formerly)|