- This article is about the potential TV series. For the episode, see: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
On February 10, 2013, George R.R. Martin confirmed that he had been in discussion with HBO over a possible adaptation of the Tales of Dunk and Egg short stories, though in what format (TV movies, theatrical movie, or a spin-off TV series) was not made clear.
Ryan Condal, showrunner on House of the Dragon, revealed in a 2020 interview that, in some sense, he was both the first and last screenwriter of the first cycle of pitches for prequel projects: he approached George R.R. Martin in early 2016 about doing a Tales of Dunk & Egg prequel, but Martin himself rejected the idea out of hand at the time because he wanted to finish that series first. Thus Condal's suggestion was never a formal "pitch" and wasn't one of the other ideas HBO rejected early on. After Condal's early suggestion to do Dunk & Egg was rejected in 2016, he ultimately came back at the end of the first pitch cycle in 2019 to helm House of the Dragon.
Martin himself, however, in a subsequent podcast interview with Ryan Condal in September 2021, admitted that Tales of Dunk & Egg was actually one of the original two prequel pitches that Martin himself had submitted to HBO - the other being the Dance of the Dragons (House of the Dragon). Martin said it was actually HBO that rejected Dunk & Egg at the time, then came up with four other pitches in addition to the Dance of the Dragons - then soon afterward Condal independently proposed to Martin that he could pitch a Dunk & Egg series, unaware that HBO had already told Martin they didn't want to do it. This does confirm that Martin himself actually changed his mind about Dunk & Egg, and considered it one of his top two picks for a prequel series, alongside the Dance of the Dragons.
On January 21, 2021, Variety first reported rumors that a new attempt was being made to pitch a Dunk & Egg prequel series. Months later on November 30, 2021, Deadline reported that an adaptation was in development, and that the pitch was advanced enough that screenwriter Steve Conrad was attached as showrunner.
On March 9, 2022, George R.R. Martin himself gave an update in his blog about potential prequel projects, confirming that Steve Conrad was attached to a potential Dunk & Egg series, and that it has passed from the "pitch" phase to the "pilot script" phase, though it's unknown if HBO will ultimately greenlight filming on a pilot episode. Martin said that they haven't decided on a working title for the series yet, as he's been calling it A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms but there are also arguments to call it The Hedge Knight. As Martin said:
- The third of the live action shows is the Dunk & Egg series, helmed by Steve Conrad. My team and I have had some great sessions with Steve and his team, and we really hit it off. He's determined to do a faithful adaptation of the stories, which is exactly what I want; these characters and stories are very precious to me. The first season will be an adaptation of the first novella, 'The Hedge Knight.' Contrary to what you may have read online, the show will not be called DUNK & EGG, which could be mistaken for a sitcom by viewers unfamiliar with the stories. We're leaning toward A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS for the series title, though THE HEDGE KNIGHT has its partisans as well."
|Active prequel projects:|
|Current prequel pitches:|
|Canceled and paused prequel pitches:|